About Me

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Goslings

It is hard to believe my kids have 2 1/2 days of school left this year! Where has the time gone? I am actually glad to see summer come. I love a simple life and our lives are far from it during the school year. I love having my boys at home! It seems like they get a chance to be boys in the summer.
I remember carefree days and lots of free time in the summer. (I did babysit a lot, but that wasn't work to me.) It seems our society today wants kids to have something to do all the time. Whether it is daycare where activities are constant, to the pressure to be good at everything. I work in a year-round school and I STILL don't see the advantages to that schedule. The kids only get 3 week breaks all year. There is never a true "down-time" for those kids. I think about the summers I had and it certainly did not make me lazy to have free time. If anything, I think it made me more creative and more aware of God's creation. Kids today only see the inside of a track-out camp or some other activity.
Okay, I am done with that now. The thought process for all of this began with a sweet sight I have seen each day this week. On my way to work there are several farm ponds near the road. I have seen 3 different Canadian goose families crossing the road to another pond. The male, I think seems to be the lookout and begins the trek, the goslings always follow in a straight line, then the female follows behind. At my school there have been yet two more families visiting outside my trailer. One family has 3 goslings, the other has 6. I am thrilled each time I see them, I wish I could remember my camera!! It is funny, because many of the children and teachers haven't even noticed! I think, what is wrong with them, this is an amazing sight! One teacher today, finally, brought her class out to see them. I thought, "That is my kind of teacher!!" I just think that God put that sight there for us to enjoy and thank Him for. It is all about the simple things. So many lessons can be learned just watching those awkward little goslings. They obey their parents in order to stay safe, they stay together, etc.
I guess my whole point is that simple things are God things usually. I love a simple life!
My quote today is from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow "In all things the supreme excellence is simplicity."

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly!!! Simple things of life are what matter. Finding the details of God's Creation is when we take the time to "be still and know that He is God."

Where are you teaching now? Which year round are you? Are you doing anything with Kindermusik anymore?

Still miss you and would love to see you!