Summer is officially here...for us. The boys have been out of school a week and a half already. I was done last Friday. It is so nice not to have to rush around! Honestly, just the fact that we have no homework at night is a huge relief! I just don't remember having this much homework as a child. :)
Last week, Scott and I went on an overnight date! It was a combination birthday celebration for both of us. We went to a local 5 star hotel, The Umstead. It is such a beautiful place, with well appointed rooms and high-end everything. We are definitely not "lap of luxury" people, but for one night, it was fun. It was even funnier to think that Scott works a stone's throw from this hotel. Since it was for birthday celebrations, they had a tray of chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us. Yum!
In the evening, we went for a walk around the little "lake" behind the hotel. They have a lovely walkway and a bridge over one end. There are little signs pointing out local wildlife and flowers that grow nearby. The frogs were just coming out and everywhere we stepped, they were at our feet! It was just so funny to me because these little frogs could care less about the income of the people at the hotel, or how perfect the lake looks. They were just living their little froggy lives! More personal to me, I love the frogs of summer, the cicadas, the crickets, etc. Even better than the sounds of summer, I love all the scents, the gardenias, the honeysuckle, and the breezes. Of course, I just love the slower pace of a summer day. As we walked outside the hotel, summer was there in all its grand simplicity. As we went back in the hotel, I sensed it was no season in particular. The hotel staff and the guests seemed so wrapped up in their lives that they didn't seem to know the simple pleasures God gave us right outside!
Enjoy the simple scenes from your summer! The closing quote for today is what I love to see my boys do in the summer. Get down on the ground and really see what God created us to see!
"Nature will bear the closest inspection. She invites us to lay our eye level with her smallest leaf, and take an insect view of its plain. " Henry David Thoreau
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Steve and I went to the Umstead for a night last year on our anniversary. That is an AWESOME place and I am glad you got to enjoy a moment with how "the other side" lives. lol That is definitely not real life for us, either.
That lake behind it was really nice. I, too, enjoy those small things of summer. We enjoyed a walk yesterday and Wesley kept stopping and "saving" the rollie pollies and earthworms. lol
Glad you are enjoying your summer! I am, too!
Post a Comment