About Me

Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas in Old Salem

Today I went with Will's class to Old Salem. It was such a great day to be there. The weather was cold- for me that is a requirement at Christmastime. The entire village was decorated and was so pretty.
I think it is important to show our kids that we as adults are always learning, too. Sometimes they think we know so much that we must know it all. That is so far from the truth.
Anyway, I learned several new things today. We were in the print shop and the tour guide was explaining the printing press. Did you know that the printer would have stored his large letters in an upper case- and the small letters in his lower case? Get it? That is where we get upper case and lower case letters from!
This picture is from the gunsmith shop. I think that was Will's favorite tour. The man who worked in there was really good with the kids. He was very animated and let the kids try out some of the tools.
Enjoy your weekend!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

WOW!!! I didn't know that! Great thoughts I needed for Colonial Period teaching in January/February!! Oh, I DO love some History....